Thursday 5 July 2007

Blog: Grüss Gott from the top of the world

Although I'm dead on my feet, I had to taken advantage of the internet access in the very modern youth hostel in Oberwölz. Today, I reached the highest point of my walk: 1,988 metres. It was a long hard climb to the top of Glattjoch, not helped by the fact that I took the wrong turning at the beginning. At the top of the Alps, it was freezing cold, and snow covered some of the neighbouring peaks.
I'm enjoying the Austrian scenery immensely. It is amazing walking country, that anyone would enjoy. The walks along the river valleys are virtually flat but very picturesque. Austrians are friendly and many speak really good English. The ones that don't wear silly hats with feathers in them.
No USB technology in JHAs, but in Graz I'll download all the latest pictures of me and mountains.

all the best,

Paul in Oberwolz, Stiermark, Austria.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow- all sounds very dramatic!! I can't wait to see the photos of the snowy peaks. It's so exciting that you're almost halfway there too. My long trip to Asia (in a comfy plane rather than on my feet) went really well, although it was much much hotter than the Alps there and very humid too. The food in Hong Kong was amazing & we even got to go to Mainland China. Anyway, thanks for keeping us updated! We're all routing for you :-)