Wednesday 6 June 2007

Hello from Mannheim

One month after setting off from London I have reached the great river Rhine.
Yesterday, I was in the old city of Worms with its beautiful Romanesque cathedral built in red
stone. Worms was the seat of Charlemagne's Empire and was a great centre of power throughout the Middle Ages. It's a great city, with large chunks of its city walls in tact. It was also the place where Luther made history by presenting his religious ideas to the Worms Diet or Parliament - an event that lead to the reformation in many German cities.
After history and great architecture yesterday, I passed the BASF industrial centre on the way down the Rhine. Mannheim is my first rest day for 200 miles. Amazingly, my blisters have healed and my feet are much better. The next challenge is going to be the heat.
Anyway, I'm making good progress, telling lots of Germans how I'm walking to Istanbul and
enjoying a great deal of the journey. Now I'll try and download some photos!

Paul

No comments: